Re: 4.7.0-rc7 ext4 error in dx_probe

From: Theodore Ts'o
Date: Mon Aug 08 2016 - 12:08:30 EST

On Sun, Aug 07, 2016 at 11:28:10PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:

> I have one lingering concern -- is it a bug that two processes could be
> computing the checksum of a buffer simultaneously? I would have thought ext4
> would serialize that kind of buffer_head access...

Do we know how this is happening? We've always depended on the VFS to
provide this exclusion. The only way we should be modifying the
buffer_head at the same time if two CPU's are trying to modify the
directory at the same time, and that should _never_ be happening, even
with the new directory parallism code, unless the file system has
given permission and intends to do its own fine-grained locking.

- Ted