Re: 4.7.0-rc7 ext4 error in dx_probe

From: TÃrÃk Edwin
Date: Mon Aug 08 2016 - 17:13:11 EST

On 2016-08-08 19:55, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 08, 2016 at 12:08:18PM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
>> On Sun, Aug 07, 2016 at 11:28:10PM -0700, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
>>>
>>> I have one lingering concern -- is it a bug that two processes could be
>>> computing the checksum of a buffer simultaneously? I would have thought ext4
>>> would serialize that kind of buffer_head access...
>>
>> Do we know how this is happening? We've always depended on the VFS to
>> provide this exclusion. The only way we should be modifying the
>> buffer_head at the same time if two CPU's are trying to modify the
>> directory at the same time, and that should _never_ be happening, even
>> with the new directory parallism code, unless the file system has
>> given permission and intends to do its own fine-grained locking.
>
> It's a combination of two things, I think. The first is that the
> checksum calculation routine (temporarily) set the checksum field to
> zero during the computation, which of course is a no-no. The patch
> fixes that problem and should go in.

Thanks a lot for the patch.
I wrote a small testcase (see below) that triggers the problem quite soon on my box with kernel 4.7.0, and seems to have survived so far with kernel 4.7.0+patch.
When it failed it printed something like "readdir: Bad message".

The drop caches part is quite important for triggering the bug, and might explain why this bug was hard to reproduce: IIUC this race condition can happen only
if 2+ threads/processes try to access the same directory, and the directory's inode is not in the cache (i.e. was never cached, or got kicked out of the cache).

/*
$ gcc trigger.c -o trigger -pthread
$ ./trigger
*/

#include <stdio.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <dirent.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <errno.h>
#include <pthread.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <fcntl.h>

#define FILES 100000
#define THREADS 16
#define LOOPS 1000

static void die(const char *msg)
{
perror(msg);
exit(EXIT_FAILURE);
}

static void* list(void* arg)
{
for(int i=0;i<LOOPS;i++) {
DIR *d = opendir(".");
if (!d) {
die("opendir");
}
errno = 0;
while(readdir(d)) {}
if (errno) {
die("readdir");
}
closedir(d);
FILE *f = fopen("/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches", "w");
if (f) {
fputs("3", f);
fclose(f);
}
}
return NULL;
}

int main()
{
pthread_t t[THREADS];

if(mkdir("ext4test", 0755) < 0 && errno != EEXIST)
die("mkdir");
if(chdir("ext4test") < 0)
die("chdir");
for (unsigned i=0;i < FILES;i++) {
char name[16];
snprintf(name, sizeof(name), "%d", i);
int fd = open(name, O_WRONLY|O_CREAT, 0600);
if (fd < 0)
die("open");
close(fd);
}
for (unsigned i=0;i < sizeof(t)/sizeof(t[0]); i++) {
pthread_create(&t[i], NULL,list, NULL);
}
for (unsigned i=0;i < sizeof(t)/sizeof(t[0]); i++) {
pthread_join(t[i], NULL);
}
return 0;
}

--
Edwin Török | Co-founder and Lead Developer

Skylable open-source object storage: reliable, fast, secure
http://www.skylable.com