Re: dmatest no longer works on ARC SDP with DW DMAC

From: Andy Shevchenko
Date: Wed Aug 10 2016 - 16:40:00 EST

On Wed, 2016-08-10 at 12:22 +0000, Alexey Brodkin wrote:
> Hi Andy,
>
> On Wed, 2016-08-10 at 15:15 +0300, Andy Shevchenko wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 2016-08-10 at 11:06 +0000, Eugeniy Paltsev wrote:
> > >

> > > dmatest on ARC SDP with DW DMAC became broken after df5c7386
> > > ("dmaengine: dw: some Intel devices has no memcpy support") and
> > > 30cb2639 ("dmaengine: dw: don't override platform data with
> > > autocfg")
> > > commits.
> > > * After df5c7386 commit "DMA_MEMCPY" capability option doesn't
> > > get set correctly in platform driver version.
> > > * After 30cb2639 commit
> > > "data_width" and "nollp" parameters don't get set correctly in
> > > platform
> > > driver version.
> > >
> > > This happens because in old driver version there are three
> > > sourcesÂ
> > > of parameters: pdata, device tree and autoconfig hardware
> > > registers.Â
> > > Some parameters were read from pdata and others from autoconfig
> > > hardware registers. If pdata was absent some pdata structureÂ
> > > fields were filled with parameters from device tree. But 30cb2639
> > > commit disabled overriding pdata with autocfg, so if we use
> > > platform
> > > driver version without pdata some parameters will not be set.
> >
> > Yes, that's correct behaviour right now. You have to provide
> > platform
> > code which registers device with all platform data provided.
>
> But given autocfg registers exist in HW why don't we rely on their
> contents?

And how exactly we can get that mem2mem support is absent / broken by
some reason?

All those quirks (bool is_*) kinda semi-hardware related.

What we can do is to have two categories of properties: a) genuine
hardware properties, and b) quirks.

So, refactor the ->probe() function in a way that will still copy quirks
and other non-hardware properties from platform data, if provided, to
the driver internals.

> > > I'm wondering what would be the best way to fix this situation?
> >
> > Ideally we have to switch to use built-in device properties
> > (drivers/base/property.c) and platform code in your case has to
> > provide
> > properties.
>
> What do you mean saying "built-in device properties"?
> Setting pdata structure? In our particular case we use device tree
> for DW DMAC setup.

Providing device properties instead of platform data. Again see above.

--
Andy Shevchenko <andriy.shevchenko@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Intel Finland Oy