Re: [patch 4 14/22] timer: Switch to a non cascading wheel

From: Richard Cochran
Date: Tue Aug 16 2016 - 04:55:20 EST

On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 12:14:11PM -0700, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> FWIW, I do appear to be seeing more lost wakeups on current mainline
> than on v4.7, but not enough of a difference to get a reliable bisction
> in reasonable time.

We are seeing reproducible hangs* when running Steven's
stress-cpu-hotplug under kvm. This hang goes back to v4.7 at least.
I couldn't reproduce this with bare metal. Thomas thought it was a
virtualization issue, not related to the hotplug rework. He is away
until next week. Maybe he knows more to say...

To reproduce, run

while [ 1 ]; do ./stress-cpu-hotplug ; done

and wait about 20 minutes (or longer).

Thanks,
Richard

* INFO: task cpuhp/7:49 blocked for more than 120 seconds