[raid] How does raid-check know which piece of data is the correct one

From: David Niklas
Date: Fri Aug 19 2016 - 15:48:59 EST

Hello,
please CC.
I switched to a RAID 5 array about a year ago and I run raid-check every
week, the problem is that I've gotten some corruption of some of my files
over time (HW failure and cable creep have caused the array to need to
rebuild a few times), and I wanted to try to figure it out if this was a
"before I switched to raid problem", or if there may be insufficient
protection from my raid array.
Here is the case where I'm uncertain. If I've got two bytes.
10101010 01010101 then they are probably xor'ed for parity and that would
make it 11111111. Ok, but if one or the other byte or the parity byte are
damaged how does raid-check rectify the problem? How does it know which
one is damaged.

Thanks,
David

ONLY AT VFEmail! - Use our Metadata Mitigator to keep your email out of the NSA's hands!
15GB disk! No bandwidth quotas!
Commercial and Bulk Mail Options!