Re: MAINTAINERS without commits in the last 3 years

From: Joe Perches
Date: Fri Aug 26 2016 - 13:09:37 EST

On Fri, 2016-08-26 at 09:56 -0700, Florian Fainelli wrote:
> On 08/24/2016 04:33 PM, Joe Perches wrote:
> >
> > Many email addresses in MAINTAINERS no longer work so many
> > sections in MAINTAINERS could likely be considered either
> > obsolete or unmaintained.
> >
> > Marking these sections appropriately or simply removing the
> > sections would make MAINTAINERS and get_maintainer.pl more
> > useful.
> >
> > These M: entries in MAINTAINERS haven't authored or had any
> > -by: signature entries in git log for the last 3 years.
> >
> > Some of these, like stable@xxxxxxxxxx and trivial@xxxxxxxxxx, are
> > obviously addresses that should not be deleted from MAINTAINERS,
> > but most of them are candidates for removal or update.
> >
> > The email addresses below are also bcc'd here to see what bounces.
> > The list of the bounces will be collected.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> For:
> >
> > bcm-kernel-feedback-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> This mailing-list was recently added under the M: entry with commit
> 086f470481f5305ac52ce960e31a7d4441886e59 ("MAINTAINERS: Change L to M
> for Broadcom ARM/ARM64 SoC entries") (was L: before) since no external
> (to Broadcom) subscribers are allowed.
>
> Should we add a new tag for that kind of entry?

No, I think that's not necessary.
Exploders and aliases are just fine for M: entries.
The alias/exploder address can still get stale though.
Ideally, there would also be a specific actual person listed too.

btw: maybe these L: addresses could/should change

BROADCOM BRCMSTB GPIO DRIVER
M: Gregory Fong <gregory.0xf0@xxxxxxxxx>
L: bcm-kernel-feedback-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

BROADCOM KONA GPIO DRIVER
M: Ray Jui <rjui@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
L: bcm-kernel-feedback-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

BROADCOM STB NAND FLASH DRIVER
M: Brian Norris <computersforpeace@xxxxxxxxx>
M: Kamal Dasu <kdasu.kdev@xxxxxxxxx>
L: linux-mtd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
L: bcm-kernel-feedback-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

SECURE DIGITAL HOST CONTROLLER INTERFACE (SDHCI) Broadcom BRCMSTB DRIVER
M: Al Cooper <alcooperx@xxxxxxxxx>
L: linux-mmc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
L: bcm-kernel-feedback-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx