Re: MAINTAINERS without commits in the last 3 years

From: Joe Perches
Date: Tue Aug 30 2016 - 11:35:58 EST

On Tue, 2016-08-30 at 17:19 +0200, Anders Larsen wrote:
> On Wednesday, 2016-08-24 16:33 Joe Perches wrote:
> > Many email addresses in MAINTAINERS no longer work so many
> > sections in MAINTAINERS could likely be considered either
> > obsolete or unmaintained.
> Whereas I agree it's helpful to purge dysfunctional adresses...
> > These M: entries in MAINTAINERS haven't authored or had any
> > -by: signature entries in git log for the last 3 years.
> ...IMHO just because there hasn't been any activity for
> amount of time> does not automatically mean the subsystem in question
> has been abandoned.

Nor does it mean that address/person would be purged unless
specifically requested or the email bounces.

Even if an email bounces, there are sometimes simple updates
for dead addresses like rml's tech9.

But unless you try/ask, you can't know if someone doesn't want
to be/isn't a maintainer anymore. I've had a few "I'm not
doing this anymore, remove me" type replies.

> I'm using "my" subsystem (QNX4 FS) almost daily, so I don't believe
> anything would be gained if get_maintainers.pl would stop keeping me
> in the loop.

Good on you.