Re: ARM, SoC: About the use DT-defined properties by 3rd-party drivers

From: Sebastian Frias
Date: Mon Sep 12 2016 - 12:26:37 EST

On 09/12/2016 06:07 PM, Sebastian Frias wrote:
> Hi Mark,
>
> On 09/12/2016 04:01 PM, Mark Rutland wrote:
>>> 3rd parties could choose to write a driver (as opposed to use say, a user-mode
>>> library) if it fits their programming model better, if they think they would
>>> have better performance, or other reasons.
>>
>> A vendor can always choose to "add value" in this manner. The general
>> expectation of *some* driver being upstreamed remains.
>
> Yes, that's the idea.

Just to clarify, what I meant is that, using the DT as the authoritative
source of HW description is a way to "add value" to everybody, because both,
3rd-parties and the open-source community get the same information.
This creates the conditions for drivers to exist, with the expectation that
eventually said drivers would be upstreamed.