Re: Address already in use problem

From: Neil Horman
Date: Wed Sep 21 2016 - 11:43:23 EST

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 09:44:30PM +0800, Sun Paul wrote:
> Hi
>
> we have an SCTP application running in JAVA. and we found that there
> is a problem when we as a client trying to connect to a remote IP
> address.
>
> If the remote IP address is not accessible, our application will keep
> retrying to connect using a self-defined local port address, says
> 51001,
>
> We found that after sometimes, says 2 hrs, this port 51001 is never
> able to bind to us again. even we tried to restart the application.

Sounds like you have another application that inadvertently bound to that port.
Its not a privlidged port, nor is it well known, so it seems plausible that
another application would eventually bind to it. Thats not a bug, just the way
ip works.

run netstat -anp | grep 51001

And see what application is holding the port.

Neil