Re: BUG_ON() in workingset_node_shadows_dec() triggers

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Tue Oct 04 2016 - 00:13:01 EST

On Mon, Oct 3, 2016 at 9:07 PM, Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Well, it's a VM_BUG_ON and few people run with CONFIG_DEBUG_VM.

Ehh. If by "few people" you mean "pretty much everybody", you'd be
right, but your choice of wording would be somewhat misleading,
wouldn't you say?

Hint: here's a line from the standard Fedora kernel config:

CONFIG_DEBUG_VM=y

so *no*. VM_BUG_ON() is no less deadly than a regular BUG_ON(). It
just allows some people to build smaller kernels, but apparently
distro people would rather have debugging than save a few kB of RAM.

The VM debvugging code has VM_WARN_ON() and VM_WARN_ON_ONCE() for
people who want to get a "oops, my assumptions were wrong"

Killing machines because somebody made an assumption that was wrong is not ok.

Killing the machine is ok if we have a situation where there literally
is no other choice.

Linus