linux.conf.au 2017 - Kernel Miniconf CFP

From: Andrew Donnellan
Date: Tue Oct 04 2016 - 06:18:21 EST

Greetings,

*****

TL;DR
- LCA Kernel Miniconf, Hobart, Australia, {16,17} Jan 2017

- Submissions by 23:59, 21 November (Anywhere on Earth)

- Wanted: anything interesting to kernel hackers! Speakers from
diverse backgrounds encouraged!

- Read below for the details!

*****

Less TL;DR version:

linux.conf.au[0], the World's Greatest Free Software Conference(tm), is back in Hobart, Tasmania for 2017!

I'm very pleased to announce that the Kernel Miniconf[1] is also returning, and that our CFP is now open!

What is the Kernel Miniconf?
----------------------------

LCA's miniconfs are one-day special interest streams that allow in depth discussion of particular topics.

The Kernel Miniconf will focus on a variety of kernel-related topics - technical presentations on up-and-coming kernel developments, the future direction of the kernel (in keeping with this yearâs LCA theme!), and kernel development community and process matters. Basically, anything of interest to kernel hackers. Past Kernel Miniconfs have included talks on RCU, scheduling, filesystems, memory management, and so on.

As with previous Kernel Miniconfs, the day will consist of a mixture of scheduled talks and "unconference" discussions/lightning talks. It is anticipated that talks will be mainly aimed at existing kernel developers, though don't let that stop you from coming if youâre less experienced! Interesting contributions relating to BSD and other Free Software operating systems will also be considered, though the focus will be primarily on Linux.

Who can attend?
---------------

Anyone with an LCA ticket can attend. There may be a limited number of miniconf-only tickets available.

Who can speak?
--------------

Anyone with something interesting and kernel-related to say! You will need to have an LCA ticket though - unfortunately miniconf speakers don't qualify for speakers' tickets.

We strongly encourage both first-time and seasoned speakers from all backgrounds, ages, genders, nationalities, ethnicities, religions and abilities. Like the main LCA conference itself, we respect and encourage diversity at our miniconf. If you would like any assistance with creating a proposal, don't hesitate to ask!

Submission process
------------------

This year, we're handling miniconf submissions through LCA's main submission system.

To submit a talk:

* Create an account on the LCA website (if you haven't already)[2]

* Create a speaker profile[3]

* Submit a talk![4]

Talks should be between 20 and 40 minutes (including any questions). Please indicate your preferred timeslot length in your submission.

Unconference topics will be decided on the day, but if you want to give me a heads up on something you'd like to discuss, shoot me an email.

Dates and deadlines
-------------------

* Right Now - CFP opens

* 21 November 2016, 23:59 (Anywhere on Earth) - CFP closes

* by 30 November 2016 - Confirmation

* 16-20 January 2017 - LCA!

Please indicate in your submission if you require early confirmation to assist in arranging travel/funding.

Questions?
----------

If you've got any other questions about the Kernel Miniconf that I haven't covered here, ping me at andrew.donnellan@xxxxxxxxxxxx

For general LCA questions, ask team@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx or @linuxconfau on Twitter.

- Andrew

-----

[0] https://linux.conf.au, obviously!

(Literally the only .conf.au domain name still in existence - the
Australian Linux community somehow managed to end up with an
entire 2LD to itself...)

[1] https://linux.conf.au/schedule/presentation/6/

[2] https://linux.conf.au/account/signup/

[3] https://linux.conf.au/speaker/create/