Re: PROBLEM: DWC3 USB 3.0 not working on Odroid-XU4 with Exynos 5422

From: Vivek Gautam
Date: Tue Oct 04 2016 - 08:02:47 EST

Hi Michael,

On Tue, Oct 4, 2016 at 4:28 PM, Michael NiewÃhner <linux@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

[snip]

>> These patches are required to get USB super-speed working on Exynos5420/5800.
>> But they did not make to upstream. There was resistance on adding new
>> phy_calibrate()
>> callback.
>>
>> Without these patches the Exynos5420/5800 will enumerate all
>> super-speed capable devices
>> as high-speed devices.
>> Last time we checked with exynos542x smdk boards and peach-* boards,
>> we could get the
>> Super - speed devices working. I have not tested odroid anytime so
>> don't have much idea about the
>> its intricacies.
>> I guess Anand was able to use these patches to get his kernel working in past.
>

> The patches don't work anymore with 4.8-rc* / 4.8. They worked - but very
> unstable - with 4.7.
>
> One more problem appeared since one of the 4.8-RCs: reboot hangs when the dwc3
> module is loaded. If I unload it before reboot / shutdown everything is fine.
>

>> When you have a downstream on-board usb hub, ideally it should be able
>> to detect the devices
>> and not reset everytime you connect a new device (like you mentioned earlier).
>> There can be two possible reasons why the hub keeps getting reset ever
>> after applying the above
>> mentioned patches:
>> 1) the clock rates are not proper.
>> 2) the regulator load setting is not enough to drive the hub.
>>
>> Anand, can you please point Michael to an older kernel with which you
>> could test usb on odroid successfully ?
>> You can compare the clocks with an older version and see if there'a
>> any difference.
>>
>> Any possibility of any other framework (such as, bus-freq) trimming
>> down the clock - rates ?
>

> ################################
> # v4.7.5
> ################################
>
> $ cat /sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary | grep usb
> sclk_usbh20_scan_clk 0 0 480000000 0
> sclk_usbh20 0 0 48000
> 000 0
> mout_usbd300 1 1 24000000 0
> dout_usbd300 0 0 24000000 0
> sclk_usbd300
> 0 0 24000000 0
> dout_usbphy300 1 1 24000000 0
> sclk_usbphy300 4 4 24000
> 000 0
> mout_usbd301 1 1 24000000 0
> dout_usbd301 0 0 24000000 0
> sclk_usbd301
> 0 0 24000000 0
> dout_usbphy301 1 1 24000000 0
> sclk_usbphy301 3 3 24000
> 000 0
> usbd301 1 1 100000000
> usbd300 1 1 100000000
>
> usbh20 3 3 100000000 0

> ################################
> # v4.8.0
> ################################
>
> $ cat /sys/kernel/debug/clk/clk_summary | grep usb
> [...]

This clock should have been 200MHz.

> usbd300 1 1 100000000
> usbh2
> 0 3 3 100000000 0
>
> $ cat /sys/kernel/debug/usb/devices
> <<system hangs>>

The clocks are same across working/non-working.
Is it possible to bisect the commit that's causing hang for 4.8x ?

Adding few of the folks from Samsung who can test dwc3 usb on smdk/peach boards.
+Alim, Pankaj

Hi Alim, Pankaj,
can you please give a try with 4.8 kernel on peach/smdk542x board and
see if dwc3 usb works or not.
You may need to the patches mentioned in [9.1] and [9.2] mentioned above.

[snip]

Thanks
Vivek

a Linux Foundation Collaborative Project