Re: CONFIG_DEBUG_TEST_DRIVER_REMOVE needs a warning

From: Laura Abbott
Date: Fri Oct 07 2016 - 11:46:05 EST

On 10/06/2016 09:06 PM, Rob Herring wrote:
On Thu, Oct 6, 2016 at 6:53 PM, Laura Abbott <labbott@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On a whim, I decided to turn on CONFIG_DEBUG_TEST_DRIVER_REMOVE on
Fedora rawhide since it sounded harmless enough. It spewed warnings
and panicked some systems. Clearly it's doing its job
well of finding drivers that can't handle remove properly and I
underestimated it. I was expecting to maybe find a driver or two.
Can we get stronger Kconfig text indicating that this shouldn't be
turned on lightly? I'll be turning the option off in Fedora but sending
out reports from what was found.

It hides behind CONFIG_DEBUG already. Is there a better option that
distros won't turn on?

For Fedora rawhide, we tend to turn on debug options that don't have
a significant performance impact to hopefully make the kernel better
for Fedora stable releases. Apart from a more explicit Kconfig text,
you could hide it behind CONFIG_EXPERT which Fedora doesn't turn on
and is more of a hint that this should only be used in specific
circumstances.

Rob

Thanks,
Laura