Re: [RFC 0/6] Module for tracking/accounting shared memory buffers

From: Christian KÃnig
Date: Wed Oct 12 2016 - 05:10:20 EST

Am 12.10.2016 um 01:50 schrieb Ruchi Kandoi:
This patchstack adds memtrack hooks into dma-buf and ion. If there's upstream
interest in memtrack, it can be extended to other memory allocators as well,
such as GEM implementations.
We have run into similar problems before. Because of this I already proposed a solution for this quite a while ago, but never pushed on upstreaming this since it was only done for a special use case.

Instead of keeping track of how much memory a process has bound (which is very fragile) my solution only added some more debugging info on a per fd basis (e.g. how much memory is bound to this fd).

This information was then used by the OOM killer (for example) to make a better decision on which process to reap.

Shouldn't be to hard to expose this through debugfs or maybe a new fcntl to userspace for debugging.

I haven't looked at the code in detail, but messing with the per process memory accounting like you did in this proposal is clearly not a good idea if you ask me.

Regards,
Christian.