Re: linux.git: printk() problem

From: Joe Perches
Date: Thu Oct 13 2016 - 05:30:10 EST

On Thu, 2016-10-13 at 08:26 +0200, Michal Hocko wrote:
> On Wed 12-10-16 09:08:58, Joe Perches wrote:

> > > Joe has already posted a patch
> > > http://lkml.kernel.org/r/c7df37c8665134654a17aaeb8b9f6ace1d6db58b.1476239034.git.joe@xxxxxxxxxxx
> > >
> > > And in general I think that adding those KERN_CONT is a good thing to
> > > do.
> >

> > As do I, but there are about a quarter _million_ uses of
> > printk/logging messages in the kernel tree with newlines.
> >
> > Maybe 100 or so of the existing messages lack terminating
> > newlines.
>

> I think they are not critical and can be fix once somebody notices.

As do I, but Linus objected to applying a patch when Colin Ian King
noticed one.

I think the 250,000 or so uses with newlines are enough of a
precedence to keep using newlines everywhere.

Now we'll have to have patches adding hundreds to thousands of the
missing KERN_CONTs for continuation lines that weren't previously a
problem in logging output but are now.