Re: [v4.8-rc1 Regression] sched/fair: Apply more PELT fixes

From: Vincent Guittot
Date: Thu Oct 13 2016 - 07:06:09 EST

Hi,

On 12 October 2016 at 18:21, Joseph Salisbury
<joseph.salisbury@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 10/12/2016 08:20 AM, Vincent Guittot wrote:

>>> FWIW, I tried and failed w/wo autogroup on 4.8 and master.
>> Me too
>>
>> Is it possible to get some dump of /proc/sched_debug while the problem occurs ?
>>
>> Vincent
>>
>>> -Mike
>
> The output from /proc/shed_debug can be seen here:
> http://paste.ubuntu.com/23312351/

I have looked at the dump and there is something very odd for
system.slice task group where the display manager is running.
system.slice->tg_load_avg is around 381697 but tg_load_avg is
normally equal to Sum of system.slice[cpu]->tg_load_avg_contrib
whereas Sum of system.slice[cpu]->tg_load_avg_contrib = 1013 in our
case. We can have some differences because the dump of
/proc/shed_debug is not atomic and some changes can happen but nothing
like this difference.

The main effect of this quite high value is that the weight/prio of
the sched_entity that represents system.slice in root cfs_rq is very
low (lower than task with the smallest nice prio) so the system.slice
task group will not get the CPU quite often compared to the user.slice
task group: less than 1% for the system.slice where lightDM and xorg
are running compared 99% for the user.slice where the stress tasks are
running. This is confirmed by the se->avg.util_avg value of the task
groups which reflect how much time each task group is effectively
running on a CPU:
system.slice[CPU3].se->avg.util_avg = 8 whereas
user.slice[CPU3].se->avg.util_avg = 991

This difference of weight/priority explains why the system becomes
unresponsive. For now, I can't explain is why
system.slice->tg_load_avg = 381697 whereas is should be around 1013
and how the patch can generate this situation.

Is it possible to have a dump of /proc/sched_debug before starting
stress command ? to check if the problem is there from the beginning
but not seen because not overloaded. Or if it the problem comes when
user starts to load the system

Thanks,