Re: Difficulties around "fixdep" for the usage of a kernel build output directory

From: SF Markus Elfring
Date: Tue Oct 18 2016 - 13:26:23 EST

> Fine, but my point was to check that the basic things worked before
> trying the complicated, or "advanced" stuff.

Your suggestion is fine in this sense. I can observe that the following command variant
works as expected here.

my_build_dir=/tmp/fixdep-check-20161018-1 && mkdir "${my_build_dir}" && my_cc=/usr/bin/gcc-6 && make O="${my_build_dir}" HOSTCC="${my_cc}" allmodconfig && make -j6 O="${my_build_dir}" HOSTCC="${my_cc}" drivers/md/

> If, somehow, fixdep didn't work in a basic setup then you'd know it wasn't one of your
> advanced features that was causing the problem.

The command example above is an approximation for the configuration approach
which I would really want instead.

> And if fixdep did work with a basic setup , then that would suggest
> something wrong with your advanced command line.

How do you think about to clarify further which implementation detail could trigger
the shown software build difficulty?

Can it be that the passing of the adjusted parameter "HOSTCFLAGS" has got a significant
influence (with unwanted side effects) in this use case?

Regards,
Markus