Re: [GIT PULL] Vendor events file/dir names

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed Oct 19 2016 - 13:49:14 EST

On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 09:41:37AM -0700, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > How do I query individual hw event groups?
> >
> > 'perf list' output is really long now, and for example it gives me:
> >
> > cache:
> > l1d.replacement
> > [L1D data line replacements]
> >
> > If I knew that I'm interested in cache related events, I'd have expected to be
> > able to do:
> >
> > perf list cache
> >
> > or at least:
> >
> > perf list cache:
> >
> > or something similar to list just - but it does not seem to do the right thing.
>
> perf list doesn't support topic matching, only event name
> matching. I'll send a patch to add topic matching too.
>
> > triton:~/tip> perf list longest_lat_cache.miss
> >
> > List of pre-defined events (to be used in -e):
> >
> > cache:
> > longest_lat_cache.miss
> > [Core-originated cacheable demand requests missed LLC]
> >
> > But the event table actually includes the following as well:
> >
> > "PublicDescription": "This event counts each cache miss condition for references to the last level cache.",
> >
> > which is not printed anywhere. I tried the obvious 'perf list -v longest_lat_cache.miss'.
>
> -v (or --long-desc) should work and it did at some point. I'll investigate.

I tested this and it works here with -v

% PERF_CPUID=GenuineIntel-6-4E perf list -v longest_lat_cache.miss

List of pre-defined events (to be used in -e):

cache:
longest_lat_cache.miss
[This event counts core-originated cacheable demand requests that miss the last level cache
(LLC). Demand requests include loads, RFOs, and hardware prefetches from L1D, and instruction
fetches from IFU Spec update: SKL057]

% PERF_CPUID=GenuineIntel-6-4E perf list longest_lat_cache.miss

List of pre-defined events (to be used in -e):

cache:
longest_lat_cache.miss
[Core-originated cacheable demand requests missed L3 Spec update: SKL057]

-Andi