Re: pinctrl_cherryview: massive error messages (handle_bad_irq)

From: Mika Westerberg
Date: Mon Oct 24 2016 - 04:14:28 EST

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 01:34:05AM +0200, Linus Walleij wrote:

> >> Please try that first.
> >
> > Updating the BIOS to v1.23 solved the problem. Thank you very much for
> > your advice!
>
> Not that I know how the Intel ecosystem works wrt this.
>
> Do you detect elder BIOS and display a warning? Are regular
> users updating their BIOSes? Or was this some kind of development
> Intel in-house BIOS?

People do upgrade their BIOSes but for Linux users it has some extra
pain if the OEM only provides you a .exe file which you need to run
under Windows.

It is possible to detect the BIOS version using DMI strings and issue a
warning in the driver, if that's what you mean, but currently we don't
do that.