Re: Regression in 4.9-rc1 for PPC32 - bisected to commit 05fd007e4629

From: Larry Finger
Date: Mon Oct 24 2016 - 15:18:51 EST

On 10/24/2016 11:29 AM, Paul Burton wrote:
On Monday, 24 October 2016 11:04:58 BST Larry Finger wrote:
On 10/23/2016 05:48 AM, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
Hi! On 20.10.2016 07:55, Larry Finger wrote:
Kernel 4.9-rc1 fails to boot on my PowerBook G4 Aluminum (32-bit PowerPC)
with the following splat:
Kernel Panic - not synching: Attempted to kill init: exitcode =
0x00000200

Thx for CCing regressions@xxxxxxxxxxxxx I added this report to the list
of regressions for Linux 4.9. I'll watch this thread for further updates
on this issue to document progress in my weekly reports. Please let me
know in case the discussion moves to a different place (bugzilla or
another mail thread for example). tia!

Ciao, Thorsten

Thorsten,

I would have CCd regressions with my previous postings if I had known the
address. The only place I had seen reference to it was on LKML where the
address is carefully obscured.

If I have not heard from the developers regarding this issue by Friday, I
will be submitting a request for reversion of the patch in question.

Larry

Hi Larry,

This was already reported over here:

https://www.linux-mips.org/archives/linux-mips/2016-10/msg00130.html

I posted an attempted fix there but it didn't work for Andreas. I'll try to
find some more time to look at it but it's difficult since I don't have access
to the affected hardware.

Paul,

Thanks for alerting me to that other thread. Please CC me on future communications there, as I do not read that ML.

For completeness, that patch failed here as well.

I'm not sure that my problem is exactly the same as the one Andreas sees. I do get console output from the bootup, but I do see a kernel panic because the system is trying to kill init. It seems likely that this happens because we are on the wrong console (udbg0) rather than tty0.

My DT shows the following lines with "stdout":

==> /proc/device-tree/chosen/linux,stdout-path <==
/pci@f0000000/ATY,JasperParent@10/ATY,Jasper_A@0^@
==> /proc/device-tree/chosen/linux,stdout-package <==
ÿ<9e>+P
==> /proc/device-tree/chosen/stdout <==
ÿ»¯À

My PowerBook is only used for testing, mainly to check that wireless drivers work correctly on BE architecture, but I do find a few problems with changes that behave differently on Apple hardware. I will be happy to provide any diagnostics that will be useful.

Larry