Re: [RFC 1/3] regulator: core: Add over current changed event

From: Axel Haslam
Date: Sun Oct 30 2016 - 08:03:07 EST

Hi Mark,

On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 8:40 PM, Mark Brown <broonie@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 28, 2016 at 09:41:44PM +0200, Axel Haslam wrote:
>
>> i think today each time an event occurs a notification is sent with the
>> corresponding flag(s) set.
>
> Right, so I think the problem here is actually that you called this
> REGULATOR_EVENT_OVER_CURRENT_CHANGE with the _CHANGE on the end which
> means it's just saying that the user has to go poll to see if the device
> is or is not over current separately at which point you may as well pull
> in all the other error things into what you're polling for. If you'd
> dropped the _CHANGE it'd be consistent with the other events we have for
> errors and fine.

The event REGULATOR_EVENT_OVER_CURRENT allready exists.
what is missing and what i would need form the usb driver, is a way for
the consumer to know that the over current condition is over.
since i cannot do this with get mode, and get status is not exported,

We can do this adding a more generic event flag:
REGULATOR_EVENT_ERRORS_CLEARED

that would be sent by the supply when all errors are over, and the
regulator is back to normal operation.

Regards
Axel.