Re: [linus:master] BUILD REGRESSION 2a26d99b251b8625d27aed14e97fc10707a3a81f

From: Fengguang Wu
Date: Mon Oct 31 2016 - 00:59:54 EST

Hi Linus,

On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 01:25:50PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
On Sun, Oct 30, 2016 at 11:03 AM, kbuild test robot
<fengguang.wu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git master
2a26d99b251b8625d27aed14e97fc10707a3a81f Merge git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/net

Hmm. The build errors seem to be pretty independent of that merge,
including internal compiler errors etc.

This "BUILD REGRESSION" report lists errors in all commits of a branch
-- ie. not only the showed HEAD commit. Sure "all commits" will be too
huge for the mainline kernel, so there will be limits applied.

Did perhaps something change in the kbuild test robot?

Recently we lowered the threshold to 2 before sending unsolicited
reports like this. That threshold means when we find >= 3 errors in a
tree, only the first 2 will be reported in the regular way (reporting
to the first bad commit). The more errors will be send in a summary
"BUILD REGRESSION" email listing all the triggered errors.

That's a trick to avoid flooding possibly large number of duplicate
error reports to LKML while avoiding hiding possibly non-duplicate
errors. It works well for normal branches, however looks less
effective for linus/master because here we have less clue about the
origin of errors.

So sorry -- this report is a noise. The fix could be to raise the
reporting threshold significantly for linus/master. It's also possible
some bug in the 0day-bot triggered this report unexpectedly.

Regards,
Fengguang