Re: printk considered harmful (was: [TECH TOPIC] asynchronous printk)

From: Sergey Senozhatsky
Date: Thu Nov 03 2016 - 13:33:05 EST

[Cc linux-kernel]

Hello,

On (11/02/16 10:06), Joe Perches wrote:
> Hello all.
>
> Can you please post notes for whatever is proposed here somewhere?

we covered 4 topics:

#1 deadlocks and recursion in printk
discussion outcome:
I published an updated printk_safe patch last week (addresses recursion
problems in printk). there was no strong opposition, and we agreed
that per-cpu buffers can help us out.

discussion outcome:
we agreed that deadlocks in printk must be addressed via printk
indirection. basically printk() will behave the same way as
printk_deferred() and, thus, we can, at some point, remove
printk_deferred().

#2 async printk
discussion outcome:
we agreed to offload printing duty to a special printk kthread.

#3 pr_cont
discussion outcome:
out of "problems" list. no work will be done in this area.

#4 console semaphore
discussion outcome:
we agreed that we can do better here and that it makes sense to do
what's been proposed in my slides. but, I keep it as a low priority.
frankly. I'd be happy to see #1-#3 in the mainline in 9-12 months.
not because it's such an enormesoly hard thing to do, but because we
probably would want to introduce those changes iteratively, in
different releases.

p.s.
I uploaded "some sort" of slides to
http://www.slideshare.net/SergeySENOZHATSKY/printk-considered-harmful