Re: Summary of LPC guest MSI discussion in Santa Fe

From: Alex Williamson
Date: Wed Nov 09 2016 - 15:01:29 EST

On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 20:23:03 +0100
Christoffer Dall <christoffer.dall@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 09, 2016 at 01:59:07PM -0500, Don Dutile wrote:
> > >
> > >Yes, that's the crux of the issue.

> > >That's actually not true :( The SMMU can't generally distinguish between MSI
> > >writes and DMA writes, so it would just see a write transaction to the
> > >doorbell address, regardless of how it was generated by the endpoint.
> > >
> > >Will
> > >
> > So, we have real systems where MSI doorbells are placed at the same IOVA
> > that could have memory for a guest
>
> I don't think this is a property of a hardware system. THe problem is
> userspace not knowing where in the IOVA space the kernel is going to
> place the doorbell, so you can end up (basically by chance) that some
> IPA range of guest memory overlaps with the IOVA space for the doorbell.
>

> >, but not at the same IOVA as memory on real hw ?
>
> On real hardware without an IOMMU the system designer would have to
> separate the IOVA and RAM in the physical address space. With an IOMMU,
> the SMMU driver just makes sure to allocate separate regions in the IOVA
> space.
>
> The challenge, as I understand it, happens with the VM, because the VM
> doesn't allocate the IOVA for the MSI doorbell itself, but the host
> kernel does this, independently from the attributes (e.g. memory map) of
> the VM.
>
> Because the IOVA is a single resource, but with two independent entities
> allocating chunks of it (the host kernel for the MSI doorbell IOVA, and
> the VFIO user for other DMA operations), you have to provide some
> coordination between those to entities to avoid conflicts. In the case
> of KVM, the two entities are the host kernel and the VFIO user (QEMU/the
> VM), and the host kernel informs the VFIO user to never attempt to use
> the doorbell IOVA already reserved by the host kernel for DMA.
>
> One way to do that is to ensure that the IPA space of the VFIO user
> corresponding to the doorbell IOVA is simply not valid, ie. the reserved
> regions that avoid for example QEMU to allocate RAM there.
>
> (I suppose it's technically possible to get around this issue by letting
> QEMU place RAM wherever it wants but tell the guest to never use a
> particular subset of its RAM for DMA, because that would conflict with
> the doorbell IOVA or be seen as p2p transactions. But I think we all
> probably agree that it's a disgusting idea.)

Well, it's not like QEMU or libvirt stumbling through sysfs to figure
out where holes could be in order to instantiate a VM with matching
holes, just in case someone might decide to hot-add a device into the
VM, at some point, and hopefully they don't migrate the VM to another
host with a different layout first, is all that much less disgusting or
foolproof. It's just that in order to dynamically remove a page as a
possible DMA target we require a paravirt channel, such as a balloon
driver that's able to pluck a specific page. In some ways it's
actually less disgusting, but it puts some prerequisites on
enlightening the guest OS. Thanks,

Alex