Re: [RFD] sched/deadline: Support single CPU affinity

From: luca abeni
Date: Thu Nov 10 2016 - 09:34:25 EST

On Thu, 10 Nov 2016 12:03:47 +0100
Tommaso Cucinotta <tommaso.cucinotta@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10/11/2016 10:06, luca abeni wrote:
> > is equivalent to the "least laxity first" (LLF) algorithm.
> > Giving precedence to tasks with 0 laxity is a technique that is
> > often used to improve the schedulability on multi-processor
> > systems.
>
> EDZL (EDF / Zero Laxity first), right?
Yes, basically all the "ZL" algorithms (EDZL, but I think I've also
seen something like RMZL or similar).

> AFAICR, there's quite a lot of
> analysis on EDZL for multi-cores... eg, Insik Shin et al....
>
> http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/stamp/stamp.jsp?arnumber=6374195
Yes, this is why I mentined the 0-laxity thing... Of course, here the
situation is different (there are tasks that can be migrated, and tasks
that cannot), but maybe the 0-laxity analysis can be adapted to this
case?

> But, before going the EDZL way, isn't it worthwhile to consider
> just splitting tasks among 2 cpus
>
> https://people.mpi-sws.org/~bbb/papers/pdf/rtss16b.pdf
Yes, there are many possible different strategies that can be tested (I
think somewhere I saw some semi-partitioned algorithm that was even
optimal). I suspect everything depends on the trade-off between
implementation complexity and scheduling efficiency.

Luca