Re: Linux 4.8.6

From: Greg KH
Date: Mon Nov 14 2016 - 02:10:35 EST

On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 04:26:39PM -0400, Levin, Alexander wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2016 at 06:47:10AM -0600, Greg KH wrote:
> > I'm announcing the release of the 4.8.6 kernel.
>
> Hey Greg,
>
> I've put more work into improving my filters to find stable commits upstream.
>
> The list below, taken from v4.8..v4.9-rc2 commits contains mostly commits that aren't tagged for stable, but should probably be there. In this case, it also includes one CVE fix that falls under that description.
>
> Note that I've filtered "prerequisite" commits out to leave only the actual commits we're interested in, so for example - for the first commit on the list you'd need either bbdc070 ("drm/i915: rename macro parameter(ring) to (engine)") or backport those changes yourself. If the list below looks good to you I can send you a pull request with a complete branch.

[what happened to wrapping email lines...]

This looks good, but it's a lot of patches, what are you using to
determine what "should be here"? I should have caught up with all of
the patches marked as "stable@", and almost all of the ones that looked
correct that were marked with "fixes:", so is there any way you can
rebase your tree to see what is left?

And yes, a git tree would be great to pull from, that makes it easier to
look at for me.

thanks,

greg k-h