Re: Long delays creating a netns after deleting one (possibly RCU related)

From: Cong Wang
Date: Mon Nov 14 2016 - 12:45:21 EST

On Mon, Nov 14, 2016 at 8:24 AM, Paul E. McKenney
<paulmck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 13, 2016 at 10:47:01PM -0800, Cong Wang wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 11, 2016 at 4:55 PM, Cong Wang <xiyou.wangcong@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Good point!
>> >
>> > Like commit be3fc413da9eb17cce0991f214ab0, checking
>> > for net_mutex for this case seems to be an optimization, I assume
>> > synchronize_rcu_expedited() and synchronize_rcu() have the same
>> > behavior...
>>
>> Thinking a bit more, I think commit be3fc413da9eb17cce0991f
>> gets wrong on rtnl_is_locked(), the lock could be locked by other
>> process not by the current one, therefore it should be
>> lockdep_rtnl_is_held() which, however, is defined only when LOCKDEP
>> is enabled... Sigh.
>>
>> I don't see any better way than letting callers decide if they want the
>> expedited version or not, but this requires changes of all callers of
>> synchronize_net(). Hm.
>
> I must confess that I don't understand how it would help to use an
> expedited grace period when some other process is holding RTNL.
> In contrast, I do well understand how it helps when the current process
> is holding RTNL.

Yeah, this is exactly my point. And same for ASSERT_RTNL() which checks
rtnl_is_locked(), clearly we need to assert "it is held by the current process"
rather than "it is locked by whatever process".

But given *_is_held() is always defined by LOCKDEP, so we probably need
mutex to provide such a helper directly, mutex->owner is not always defined
either. :-/