Re: LEDs that change brightness "itself" -- that's a trigger. Re: PM regression with LED changes in next-20161109

From: Jacek Anaszewski
Date: Tue Nov 15 2016 - 05:58:19 EST

On 11/15/2016 11:31 AM, Pavel Machek wrote:
Hi!

Hmm, v4 still calls led_notify_brightness_change(led_cdev)
>from both __led_set_brightness() and __led_set_brightness_blocking().

Ugh, I see I accidentally send a v4 twice, instead of
calling the version which dropped those called v5 as
I should have, sorry.

The v4 which I would like to see merged, the one with
those calls dropped, is here:

https://patchwork.kernel.org/patch/9423093/

Please, lets fix this properly.

The LED you are talking about _has_ a trigger, implemented in
hardware. That trigger can change LED brightness behind kernel's (and
userspace's) back. Don't pretend the trigger does not exist, it does.

And when you do that, you'll have nice place to report changes to
userspace -- trigger can now export that information, and offer poll()
interface.

Well, that sounds interesting. It is logically justifiable.
I initially proposed exactly this solution, with recently
added userspace LED being a trigger listener. It seems a bit
awkward though. How would you listen to the trigger events?

--
Best regards,
Jacek Anaszewski