fuse: max_background and congestion_threshold settings

From: Nikolaus Rath
Date: Tue Nov 15 2016 - 11:18:51 EST

Hello,

Could someone explain to me the meaning of the max_background and
congestion_threshold settings of the fuse module?

At first I assumed that max_background specifies the maximum number of
pending requests (i.e., requests that have been send to userspace but
for which no reply was received yet). But looking at fs/fuse/dev.c, it
looks as if not every request is included in this number.

I also figured out that if the number of background requests (whatever
they are) exceeds the congestion threshold, fuse calls
set_bdi_congested() for the backing device. But what does this do? And
does this become a no-op if there is no backing device?

Thanks,
-Nikolaus

ÂTime flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a Banana.Â