Re: commit 4dd1837d7589f468ed109556513f476e7a7f9121 breaks build

From: Nicolas Pitre
Date: Sun Nov 20 2016 - 12:04:06 EST

On Sun, 20 Nov 2016, Russell King - ARM Linux wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 20, 2016 at 01:56:16PM +0100, Tobias Jakobi wrote:
> > Hey Russell,
> >
> > thanks for the quick reply and looking into this!
> >
> > Added Nicolas Pitre to Cc since the ksym trim stuff came from him.
>
> Arnd's patch "kbuild: provide include/asm/asm-prototypes.h for ARM" fixes
> it, but I think it's a mixture of fixes, and partially dependent on some
> other patches. I don't know what the status of his patch is, but my
> feeling is that it consists of more than a single fix, and needs
> splitting. Certainly the asm-prototypes.h is not relevant to this
> problem, but the rest of it seems to be.

Well... the problem for the current breakage was identified a while ago:

https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/2/10/686

I'm surprised that Al didn't fold my patch into his. Now that this has
hit mainline, CONFIG_TRIM_UNUSED_KSYMS is now broken on ARM.

And I don't see how the asm-prototypes.h is going to fix it either (if
anything, at the moment it looks like it might be another source of
breakage).

So I think the folowing patch should go into mainline:

----- >8