Re: wl1251 & mac address & calibration data

From: Pali RohÃr
Date: Wed Nov 23 2016 - 17:47:41 EST

On Wednesday 23 November 2016 23:23:35 Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!

> > > Quoting modprobe.d manual:

> > I know. But this do not allow me to send mac address to kernel --
> > as kernel does not support such command yet (reason for my first
> > question).
>
> Plus, this does not really work for cases where wl1251 is not a
> module.

Yes, this is another problem.

> > > You can hook up a script that cooks up wl1251-nvs.bin (caldata,
> > > macaddr) and then insmod the actual wl1251.ko module. Or you can
> > > just cook up the nvs on first device boot and store it in
> > > /lib/firmware (possibly overwriting the "generic" wl1251 from
> > > linux-firmware).
> >
> > This is what I would like to prevent -- overwriting (possible
> > readonly) system files with some device specific. It is really bad
> > idea!
>
> Agreed.
>
> "ifconfig hw ether XX" normally sets the address. I guess that's
> ioctl?

This sets temporary address and it is ioctl. IIRC same as what ethtool
uses. (ifconfig is already deprecated).

> And I guess we should use similar mechanism for permanent
> address.

I'm not sure here... Above ioctl âââ is for changing temporary mac
address. But here we do not want to change permanent mac address. We
want to tell kernel driver current permanent mac address which is stored
in permanent mac address storage (in N900 case in mtd). Just like
userspace helper as kernel driver do not have code which can read
permanent mac address.

--
Pali RohÃr
pali.rohar@xxxxxxxxx