Re: net/sctp: vmalloc allocation failure in sctp_setsockopt/xt_alloc_table_info

From: Neil Horman
Date: Mon Nov 28 2016 - 12:56:58 EST

On Mon, Nov 28, 2016 at 06:47:10PM +0100, Florian Westphal wrote:
> Neil Horman <nhorman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'm not sure I agree with that. Generally speaking it seems like the right
> > thing to do, if you want to avoid filling logs with warnings, but this is the
> > sort of error that is going to be accompanied by severe service interruption.
> > I'd rather see a reason behind that in the logs, than just have it occur
> > silently.
>
> Its not silent -- the setsockopt call will fail and userspace should
> display an error.

Thats not true. If the OOM succedes in freeing enough memory to fulfill the
request the setsockopt may complete without error, you're just left with a
killed process...somewhere. Thats seems a bit dodgy to me

Not saying it has to be a full stack trace, but some log annotation that shows
the oom killer got invoked seems called for here

Neil