Re: Linux 4.9: Reported regressions as of Sunday, 2016-12-04

From: Adam Borowski
Date: Mon Dec 05 2016 - 03:09:40 EST

On Sun, Dec 04, 2016 at 01:26:05PM +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Desc: builddeb: fix cross-building to arm64 producing host-arch debs
> Repo: 16-11-04 https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-kbuild/msg13635.html
> Stat: 16-11-11 https://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-kbuild/msg13696.html
> Note: Nothing happened when Adam pinged Michael in https://www.mail-archive.com/linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx/msg1276268.html

The fix has been accepted and is sitting in kbuild/rc-fixes; I guess Michal
wanted to wait for something else to pop up to not bother Linus with
excessive one-patch pulls. And we had the modversions brouchacha that was a
far more important regression in the kbuild land.

This cross-building fail is not that vital: arm64 has nothing in between:
* small SoCs with custom (and thus unpackaged) u-boot setups, it's less work
to configure to boot Image rather than vmlinuz-$KVER, and they're so
fragile their u-boot breaks if you as much as look at it funny
* fat 48-way servers that you're likely to cross-build on rather than for

I'm insisting on fixing this in 4.9 rather than 4.10 only because it's LTS
both for kernel and for Debian, thus people are going to use *deb-pkg.

So as long as the queue is flushed within this week, all is fine.

Meow!
--
u-boot problems can be solved with the help of your old SCSI manuals, the
parts that deal with goat termination. You need a black-handled knife, and