Re: Enabling peer to peer device transactions for PCIe devices

From: Logan Gunthorpe
Date: Mon Dec 05 2016 - 13:39:39 EST

On 05/12/16 11:08 AM, Dan Williams wrote:
I've already recommended that iopmem not be a block device and instead
be a device-dax instance. I also don't think it should claim the PCI
ID, rather the driver that wants to map one of its bars this way can
register the memory region with the device-dax core.

I'm not sure there are enough device drivers that want to do this to
have it be a generic /sys/.../resource_dmableX capability. It still
seems to be an exotic one-off type of configuration.

Yes, this is essentially my thinking. Except I think the userspace interface should really depend on the device itself. Device dax is a good choice for many and I agree the block device approach wouldn't be ideal.

Specifically for NVME CMB: I think it would make a lot of sense to just hand out these mappings with an mmap call on /dev/nvmeX. I expect CMB buffers would be volatile and thus you wouldn't need to keep track of where in the BAR the region came from. Thus, the mmap call would just be an allocator from BAR memory. If device-dax were used, userspace would need to lookup which device-dax instance corresponds to which nvme drive.

Logan