Re: [RFC v3 00/10] KVM PCIe/MSI passthrough on ARM/ARM64 and IOVA reserved regions

From: Auger Eric
Date: Thu Dec 08 2016 - 04:37:30 EST

Hi,

On 15/11/2016 14:09, Eric Auger wrote:
> Following LPC discussions, we now report reserved regions through
> iommu-group sysfs reserved_regions attribute file.

While I am respinning this series into v4, here is a tentative summary
of technical topics for which no consensus was reached at this point.

1) Shall we report the usable IOVA range instead of reserved IOVA
ranges. Not discussed at/after LPC.
x I currently report reserved regions. Alex expressed the need to
report the full usable IOVA range instead (x86 min-max range
minus MSI APIC window). I think this is meaningful for ARM
too where arm-smmu might not support the full 64b range.
x Any objection we report the usable IOVA regions instead?

2) Shall the kernel check collision with MSI window* when userspace
calls VFIO_IOMMU_MAP_DMA?
Joerg/Will No; Alex yes
*for IOVA regions consumed downstream to the IOMMU: everyone says NO

3) RMRR reporting in the iommu group sysfs? Joerg: yes; Don: no
My current series does not expose them in iommu group sysfs.
I understand we can expose the RMRR regions in the iomm group sysfs
without necessarily supporting RMRR requiring device assignment.
We can also add this support later.

Thanks

Eric