Re: crashkernel only allowing smaller allocations as kernel version increases

From: Robert LeBlanc
Date: Thu Dec 08 2016 - 14:23:56 EST

OK, after looking through some code, it looks like the behavior was
change (back?) to only allocating under 896M with commit
55a20ee7804ab64ac90bcdd4e2868a42829e2784. In order to allocate more
RAM than that, you have to specify crashkernel=1024M,high which
reserves some RAM in low memory and the requested amount in high
memory. This is not explained in Documentation/kdump/kdump.txt. I'll
work on a pull request for Documentation.
Robert LeBlanc
PGP Fingerprint 79A2 9CA4 6CC4 45DD A904 C70E E654 3BB2 FA62 B9F1