Re: [HMM v14 05/16] mm/ZONE_DEVICE/unaddressable: add support for un-addressable device memory

From: Jerome Glisse
Date: Thu Dec 08 2016 - 15:38:40 EST

> > That's what one of the big issue. No platform does not reserve any range so
> > there is a possibility that some memory get hotpluged and assign this
> > range.
> >
> > I pushed the range decision to higher level (ie it is the device driver
> > that
> > pick one) so right now for device driver using HMM (NVidia close driver as
> > we don't have nouveau ready for that yet) it goes from the highest physical
> > address and scan down until finding an empty range big enough.
>
> I don't think you should be stealing physical address space for things
> that don't and can't have physical addresses. Delegating this to
> individual device drivers and hoping that they all get it right seems
> like a recipe for disaster.

Well i expected device driver to use hmm_devmem_add() which does not take
physical address but use the above logic to pick one.

> Maybe worth adding to the changelog:
>
> This feature potentially breaks memory hotplug unless every
> driver using it magically predicts the future addresses of
> where memory will be hotplugged.

I will add debug printk to memory hotplug in case it fails because of some
un-addressable resource. If you really dislike memory hotplug being broken
then i can go down the way of allowing to hotplug memory above the max
physical memory limit. This require more changes but i believe this is
doable for some of the memory model (sparsemem and sparsemem extreme).

> BTW, how many more of these "big issues" does this set have? I didn't
> see any mention of this in the changelogs.

I am not sure what to say here. If you don't use HMM ie no device that
hotplug it. Then there is no chance of having issue. If you have a device
that use it then someone might try to do something stupid (try to kmap
and access such un-addressable page for instance). So i am not sure where
to draw the line.

Cheers,
JÃrÃme