Re: Could we have request_firmware_nowait with FW_OPT_NO_WARN?

From: Luis R. Rodriguez
Date: Mon Dec 12 2016 - 09:13:14 EST

On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 04:54:41PM +0100, RafaÅ MiÅecki wrote:
> So it would be nice to have version of request_firmware_nowait with
> FW_OPT_NO_WARN. If requesting firmware NVRAM fails *and* getting
> platform NVRAM fails, then I could to print error on my own.
> Does it make sense? Can you see a point of my request?

request_firmware_direct() does hat you describe but this is only
available for synchronous requests. My old sysdata patches -- which
I need to "rebrand" as the only issue found was the naming -- added
an equivalent to request_firmware_direct() for async calls. The newer
API simply has 2 API exported calls, the idea is we'd enable the caller
to configure the request as per their requirements instead of adding
a new exported routine per new feature.

I'll update docs, rebase my patches by rebranding them, and also add
a bit more as per some recent discussion to resolve the pivot_root()
races upon init if you do not use initramfs. I'll be sure to Cc you.

Luis