Re: usb/gadget: warning in ep_write_iter/__alloc_pages_nodemask

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Wed Dec 14 2016 - 11:18:31 EST

On Wed 14-12-16 11:13:11, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Dec 2016, Michal Hocko wrote:
>
> > On Tue 13-12-16 08:33:34, Alan Stern wrote:
> > > On Tue, 13 Dec 2016, Michal Hocko wrote:
[...]
> > > Putting a limit on the total size of a single transfer would prevent
> > > this.
> >
> > Dunno, putting a limit to the user visible interface sounds wrong to me.
>
> In practice, I think the data transfer sizes tend to be not very large.
> But I could be wrong about that.

That is one part the other is whether a malicious user can abuse this to
DoS the kernel which is the point I am trying to make here. Depleting
non-costly high orders can be quite dangerious so allowing a free ticket
to them to arbitrary user in an arbitrary amount is definitely not good.
--
Michal Hocko
SUSE Labs