Re: usb/gadget: warning in ep_write_iter/__alloc_pages_nodemask

From: Alan Stern
Date: Wed Dec 14 2016 - 11:41:24 EST

On Wed, 14 Dec 2016, Michal Hocko wrote:

> > > Is it really necessary to allocate the full iov_iter_count? Why cannot
> > > we process the from buffer one page at a time?
> >
> > We could (although one page is really too small -- USB 3.1 can transfer
> > 800 KB per ms so we ought to handle at least 128 KB at a time).
>
> Is there any problem to submit larger transfers without having the
> buffer physically contiguous?

Async I/O would be rather awkward; it would have to use a work queue
routine. But it could be done.

And we would still end up allocating the same total space (more
actually, because we would need to store the scatter-gather table too).
It just wouldn't be contiguous.

> > But
> > turn the argument around: If the user wants to transfer that much data,
> > why can't he _submit_ it one page at a time?
>
> Not sure I understand.

> > > Well, my point was that it is not really hard to imagine to deplete
> > > larger contiguous memory blocks (say PAGE_ALLOC_COSTLY_ORDER). Those are
> > > still causing the OOM killer and chances are that a controlled flood of
> > > these requests could completely DoS the system.
> >
> > Putting a limit on the total size of a single transfer would prevent
> > this.
>
> Dunno, putting a limit to the user visible interface sounds wrong to me.

In practice, I think the data transfer sizes tend to be not very large.
But I could be wrong about that.

Alan Stern