Re: Revised request_key(2) man page for review

From: David Howells
Date: Thu Dec 15 2016 - 05:18:08 EST

Michael Kerrisk (man-pages) <mtk.manpages@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > âIs 'keyring' allowed to be 0? Reading the source, it â
> > âappears so. In this case, by default, the key is â
> > âassigned to the session keyring. But, the â
> > âKEYCTL_SET_REQKEY_KEYRING also seems to have an â
> > âinfluence here. What are the details here? â

Yes, the destination keyring can be 0. If you don't specify a destination
keyring, then:

(1) If the key is found to already exist, the serial number is returned, but
no extra link is made.

(2) If an error occurs other than "this key doesn't exist", then you'll just
get the error.

(3) If we have to construct a new key, this will be attached to the default
keyring (as there's no destination keyring to attach to).

> > # echo 'create user mtk:* * /bin/keyctl instantiate %k %c %S' \
> > > /etc/request-keys.conf

There's a /etc/request-keys.d/ directory now.

David