Re: crash during oom reaper

From: Vegard Nossum
Date: Fri Dec 16 2016 - 09:04:54 EST

On 12/16/2016 02:14 PM, Vegard Nossum wrote:
On 12/16/2016 11:11 AM, Michal Hocko wrote:
On Fri 16-12-16 10:43:52, Vegard Nossum wrote:
[...]
I don't think it's a bug in the OOM reaper itself, but either of the
following two patches will fix the problem (without my understand how or
why):

What is the atual crash?

Annoyingly it doesn't seem to reproduce with the very latest
linus/master, so maybe it's been fixed recently after all and I missed it.

I've started a bisect to see what fixed it. Just in case, I added 4
different crashes I saw with various kernels. I think there may have
been a few others too (I remember seeing one in a page fault path), but
these were the most frequent ones.

The bisect points to:

commit 6b94780e45c17b83e3e75f8aaca5a328db583c74
Author: Vincent Guittot <vincent.guittot@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu Dec 8 17:56:54 2016 +0100

sched/core: Use load_avg for selecting idlest group

as fixing the crash, which seems odd to me. The only bit that sticks out
from the changelog to me:

"""
For use case like hackbench, this enable the scheduler to select
different CPUs during the fork sequence and to spread tasks across the
system.
"""

Reverting it from linus/master doesn't reintroduce the crash, but the
commit just before (6b94780e4^) does crash, so I'm not sure what's going
on. Maybe the crash is just really sensitive to scheduling decisions or
something.

Vegard