Re: thermal zones break with patch "Reimplement IDR and IDA using the radix tree" (mainline+next)

From: Heiko Stuebner
Date: Fri Dec 16 2016 - 19:48:56 EST

Hi Matthew,

Am Freitag, 16. Dezember 2016, 21:19:37 CET schrieb Matthew Wilcox:
> From: Heiko Stuebner [mailto:heiko@xxxxxxxxx]
>
> > commit b05bbe3ea2db ("Reimplement IDR and IDA using the radix tree")
> > seems to
> > break thermal zone allocation. This happens both on todays mainline and
> > linux-next-20161216 and produces errors like:
>

> > While I haven't looked to deeply into what idr exactly does, some
> > findings:
- thermal_zone0 and thermal_zone1 are allocated correctly
> > - every further thermal_zone always gets allocated the number "1"
> > - thermal core calls idr_alloc with 0 for both start and end
> > - the rewrite-patch seems to change the semantics of idr_alloc
> >
> > where it orignally said "@end: the maximum id (exclusive, <= 0 for
> > max)"
> > the "<= 0" part is gone now, but I checked, simply setting INT_MAX
> > as end in the thermal_core does not help
>

> Hi Heiko,
>
> Thanks for the report! The problem is because the thermal subsystem calls
> idr_alloc() passing a NULL pointer for the data. I have fixed this problem
> in my git tree but haven't sent the patch to Andrew yet. This patch should
> fix the problem for you:

> http://git.infradead.org/users/willy/linux-dax.git/commitdiff/c52eeed7b759c3
> fefe9b7f1b0a17a438df6950f3

yay, this fixes the issue. This should definitly go as fix into 4.10-rc and when
you send it to Andrew you can add my

Tested-by: Heiko Stuebner <heiko@xxxxxxxxx>

> Now ... thermal is actually using an IDR when it could save memory by using
> an IDA. Are you interested in doing that conversion?

That would more be a question for Eduardo and Rui :-) . I'm just in the
process of tracking down the smallish issues on my Rockchip board that are
poping up during the merge-window.

Anyway, thanks for pointing to the fix
Heiko