Re: [RFC3 nowrap: PATCH v7 00/18] ILP32 for ARM64

From: Yury Norov
Date: Sun Dec 18 2016 - 02:09:06 EST

On Fri, Oct 21, 2016 at 11:32:59PM +0300, Yury Norov wrote:
> This series enables aarch64 with ilp32 mode, and as supporting work,
> introduces ARCH_32BIT_OFF_T configuration option that is enabled for
> existing 32-bit architectures but disabled for new arches (so 64-bit
> off_t is is used by new userspace).
>
> This version is based on kernel v4.9-rc1. It works with glibc-2.24,
> and tested with LTP.

Hi Arnd, Catalin

For last few days I'm trying to rebase this series on current master,
and I see significant conflicts and regressions. In fact, every time
I rebase on next rc1, I feel like I play a roulette.

This is not a significant problem now because it's almost for sure
that this series will not get into 4.10, for reasons not related to
kernel code. And I have time to deal with regressions. But in general,
I'd like to try my patches on top of other candidates for next merge
window. I cannot read all emails in LKML, but I can easily detect
problems and join to the discussion at early stage if I see any problem.

This is probably a noob question, and there are well-known branches,
like Andrew Morton's one. But at this stage it's very important to
have this series prepared for merge, and I'd prefer to ask about it.

Yury.