Re: [RFC] arch/x86/Kconfig.cpu: Update with new gcc disponible 64bits CPU uarchs.

From: Borislav Petkov
Date: Mon Dec 19 2016 - 12:31:33 EST

On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 03:09:50PM -0200, Gustavo da Silva wrote:
> Good afternon!
>
> Are there reasons to 'Kconfig.cpu' and 'Makefile' not contains the
> 'gcc -mtune=???'
> recent options?

This keeps popping up every couple of months. I was wondering when it is
going to appear again and there you are. :)

Here's a major reason: 99% of the kernels are built with
-m(arch|tune)=generic. Think distros.

Also, I am still waiting for a proof that CPU-optimized kernels have any
advantages compared to the =generic ones.

HTH.

--
Regards/Gruss,
Boris.

Good mailing practices for 400: avoid top-posting and trim the reply.