Re: [tip:x86/urgent] x86/tools: Fix gcc-7 warning in relocs.c

From: Markus Trippelsdorf
Date: Tue Dec 20 2016 - 14:32:04 EST

On 2016.12.20 at 10:32 -0800, hpa@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On December 20, 2016 3:51:09 AM PST, Markus Trippelsdorf <markus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >adding

> >> Well, s/gcc/glibc/ then.

> >the
> >
> >NULL does not point to any object, therefore it is UB.
>
> That seems, quite frankly, like a pretty idiotic lawyerism.
> Why would a pointer that by spec is never referenced not be able to be null?

Thank you. Let me quote the standard for you:

7.1.4
ÂIf an argument to a function has an invalid value (such as a value
outside the domain of the function, or a pointer outside the address
space of the program, or a null pointer, or a pointer to non-modifiable
storage when the corresponding parameter is not const-qualified) or a
type (after promotion) not expected by a function with variable number
of arguments, the behavior is undefined.Â

7.24.1(2)
ÂWhere an argument declared as size_t n specifies the length of the
array for a function, n can have the value zero [â] pointer arguments on
such a call shall still have valid values, as described in 7.1.4.Â

The same applies to memcpy, etc.

The compiler can assume that these pointers are not NULL and optimizes
accordingly.

--
Markus