Re: __GFP_REPEAT usage in fq_alloc_node

From: Michal Hocko
Date: Fri Jan 06 2017 - 11:07:57 EST

On Fri 06-01-17 07:39:14, Eric Dumazet wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2017 at 7:20 AM, Michal Hocko <mhocko@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > Hi Eric,
> > I am currently checking kmalloc with vmalloc fallback users and convert
> > them to a new kvmalloc helper [1]. While I am adding a support for
> > __GFP_REPEAT to kvmalloc [2] I was wondering what is the reason to use
> > __GFP_REPEAT in fq_alloc_node in the first place. c3bd85495aef
> > ("pkt_sched: fq: more robust memory allocation") doesn't mention
> > anything. Could you clarify this please?
> >
> > Thanks!
>
> I guess this question applies to all __GFP_REPEAT usages in net/ ?

I am _currently_ interested only in those which have vmalloc fallback
and cannot see more of them. Maybe my git grep foo needs some help.

> At the time, tests on the hardware I had in my labs showed that
> vmalloc() could deliver pages spread
> all over the memory and that was a small penalty (once memory is
> fragmented enough, not at boot time)

I see. Then I will go with kvmalloc with __GFP_REPEAT and we can drop
the flag later after it is not needed anymore. See the patch below.

Thanks for the clarification.

> I guess this wont be anymore a concern if I can finish my pending work
> about vmalloc() trying to get adjacent pages
> https://lkml.org/lkml/2016/12/21/285

I see

Thanks!
---