Re: 4.9.0 regression in pipe-backed iov_iter with systemd-nspawn

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jan 13 2017 - 15:08:50 EST

On Fri, Jan 13, 2017 at 11:33 AM, Linus Torvalds
<torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> This function looks so broken that I must be missing something. Why
> doesn't pipe_advance() just look like the following:
>
> static void pipe_advance(struct iov_iter *i, size_t size)
> {
> pipe_buf_release(pipe, buf);
> pipe->nrbufs--;

I think this part needs to update "curbufs" too, so something like

pipe->curbuf = (pipe->curbuf + 1) & (pipe->buffers - 1);

although I think that "idx" has to track curbuf here anyway, so I
guess it could just be combined with the idx update and look something
like

pipe->curbuf = idx = next_idx(idx, pipe);

in there. Otherwise we get out of sync with the pipe state.

Or maybe I'm just full of it.

Linus