Re: Regression on Dell XPS13

From: Paul Menzel
Date: Wed Jan 18 2017 - 06:12:26 EST

Dear Rafael, dear Mario,

On 01/18/17 03:18, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
Mario, thanks for CCing this to linux-pm.

Rafael, you should have also received the message, Mario answered to.

On Tue, Jan 17, 2017 at 5:57 PM, <Mario.Limonciello@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

Thanks for raising this topic and including me.
Suspend to Idle support in Linux as an alternative S3 on x86 is a new
topic. In all, I expected that some problems would arise as a result
of this patch, and I hope they will spur interesting discussions and
solutions.

Something that might not be immediately obvious is that by supporting
suspend to idle, new driver bugs are going to be identified for drivers
that don't properly put hardware into low enough power modes for the CPU
to go into the proper state. Traditionally with S3 the BIOS would be responsible
for powering devices down before S3 and back up when exiting S3.
This onus is now on the OS.

That is fine, but then it shouldnât be the default, until most of these bugs are identified and fixed.

Also, the commit message should make that more clear, and in my opinion the tested devices be listed.