Re: [patch 4/5] PTP: add PTP_SYS_OFFSET emulation via cross timestamps infrastructure

From: Paolo Bonzini
Date: Fri Jan 20 2017 - 09:23:40 EST

On 20/01/2017 15:02, Radim Krcmar wrote:
> 2017-01-20 14:36+0100, Paolo Bonzini:

>>> timekeeper_lock
>>
>> Why does emulate_ptp_sys_offset need it, if the current PTP_SYS_OFFSET
>> code doesn't? Is the latency acceptable (considering this is a raw spin
>> lock) or is there a seqlock that we can use instead (such as tk_core.seq
>> like in get_device_system_crosststamp)?
>
> The spinlock prevents writers to take the tk_core.seq, which means that
> time cannot be changed during that.
>
> The simplest alternative would be to use tk_core.seq for all our reads,
> but that would increse the chance of re-reading, even infinitely.

How much? If a hypercall takes 1 microsecond, and PTP_MAX_SAMPLES is
25, we should be done in less than 50 microseconds. If update_wall-time
is called with 250 Hz frequency (sounds like a lot), that's still 4000
microseconds so the probability of even 3-4 consecutive retries should
be very low.

> But we don't need to read everything with the same time base -- if the
> time is changed (by NTP/user/...) between our reads, then the value will
> be off, but if writer took tk_core.seq just to accumulate current time,
> then the time after accumulation stays the same and it would work as if
> we had the tk_core.seq for the whole time.

You mean only check seqlock separately for each sample, but restart the
entire loop upon changes to cs_was_changed_seq or clock_was_set_seq?
That would work too.

> Another solution would be to do just one one read and set it to all
> saples -- the difference between t[i] and t[i+2] would be 0. We are
> quite sure the just one read is enough, this hack could be even better.

I'd be afraid of messing up chrony's stats...

Paolo